Department of Biochemistry
202D Schlundt Annex Office phone:
(573) 884-2921 Fax:
Phytonutrients and seed composition.
Folk's research interests focus upon the role of phytonutrients in human health and disease. He and colleagues at the University, theMissouri Botanical Garden and the University of Western Cape, South Africa study the scientific basis of traditional phytotherapies. Another major focus of the Folk and members of his laboratory is the use of biotechnology to improve plant protein nutritive quality. By altering the fidelity of protein synthesis and the use of heterologous tRNAs and activating enzymes, they increase the quantity of nutritionally limiting amino acids in crop plants used for nutrition (http://www.isb.vt.edu/news/2003/news03.Aug.html).
- Fu X, Li XC, Wang YH, Avula B, Smillie TJ, Mabusela W, Syce J, Johnson Q, Folk W and Khan IA. Flavonol glycosides from the South African medicinal plant Sutherlandia frutescens. Planta Med 2010;76(2):178-181.
- Avula B, Wang YH, Smillie TJ, Fu X, Li XC, Mabusela W, Syce J, Johnson Q, Folk W and Khan IA. Quantitative determination of flavonoids and cycloartanol glycosides from aerial parts of Sutherlandia frutescens (L.) R. BR. by using LC-UV/ELSD methods and confirmation by using LC-MS method. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2010;52(2):173-180.
- Ntutela S, Smith P, Matika L, Mukinda J, Arendse H, Allie N, Estes DM, Mabusela W, Folb P, Steyn L, Johnson Q, Folk WR, Syce J and Jacobs M. Efficacy of Artemisia afra phytotherapy in experimental tuberculosis. Tuberculosis 2009;89(SUPPL.1)
- Lu L, Wu X, Yin X, Morrand J, Chen X, Folk WR and Zhang ZJ. Development of marker-free transgenic sorghum [Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench] using standard binary vectors with bar as a selectable marker. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 2009;99(1):97-108.
- Reid SE, Mulenga LB, Folk WR, Tambatamba BC and Chi BH. Abandonment of antiretroviral therapy: A potential barrier to scale-up in sub-Saharan Africa. South African Medical Journal 2008;98(6):448-450.
- Fu X, Li XC, Smillie TJ, Carvalho P, Mabusela W, Syce J, Johnson Q, Folk W, Avery MA and Khan IA. Cycloartane glycosides from Sutherlandia frutescens. Journal of Natural Products 2008;71(10):1749-1753.