Supervisory Research Geneticist, Adjunct Professor
Web site: Mel Oliver; USDA-ARS Office address:
USDA-ARS, Division of Plant Sciences
204 Curtis Hall, University of Missouri Office phone:
(573) 882-9645 Fax:
Modification of Soybean Seed Composition for Food, Feed, and Other Industrial Uses
1. The long-term goal of this Objective is to develop soybean seeds that have increased oil levels derived at the expense of non-structural carbohydrates.
2. Molecular biology techniques will be used to improve the nutritional quality of soybean seed proteins.
3. To develop the molecular basis for modification of the fatty acid components of soybean oil and anti-nutritional components in soybean meal to use in accelerated breeding programs. 4. Identify effects on key performance determinants of crop seed quality resulting from modified seed composition using traditional or non-traditional genetic methods.
- Chloroplast Genome Sequence of the Moss Tortula ruralis: Gene Content and Structural Arrangement Relative to Other Green Plant Chloroplast Genomes - (Peer Reviewed Journal) Oliver, M.J., Murdock, A.G., Mishler, B.D., Kuehl, J.V., Boore, J.L., Mandoli, D.F., Everett, K.D., Wolf, P.G., Duffy, A.M., Karol, K.G. 2010. Chloroplast Genome Sequence of the Moss Tortula ruralis: Gene Content and Structural Arrangement Relative to Other Green Plant Chloroplast Genomes. Biomed Central (BMC) Genomics BMC Genomics 2010, 11:143.
- Dehydration Tolerance in Plants - (Review Article) Oliver, M.J., Cushman, J.C., Koster, K.L. 2010. Dehydration Tolerance in Plants. Methods in Molecular Biology. p. 3-24.
- Transgenic Biofuel Feedstocks and Strategies for Biocontainment - (Review Article) Kausch, A.P., Hague, J., Oliver, M.J., Yi, L., Daniell, H., Mascia, P., Watrud, L.S., Stewart, N. 2010. Transgenic Biofuel Feedstocks and Strategies for Biocontainment. Biofuels. 1(1):163-176.
- Understanding Vegetative Desiccation Tolerance using Integrated Functional Genomics Approaches within a Comparative Evolutionary Framework - (Book/Chapter) - (21-Sep-09)
- Gene Flow in Genetically Engineered Perennial Grasses: Lessons for Modification of Dedicated Bioenergy Crops - (Book/Chapter) - (11-Aug-09)
- Genetic Modification in Dedicated Bioenergy Crops and Strategies for Gene Confinement - (Book/Chapter) - (11-Aug-09)
- An Integrated Strategy to Identify Key Genes in Almond Adventitious Shoot Regeneration - (Peer Reviewed Journal) Santos, M., Oliver, M.J., Sanchez, A., Payton, P.R., Gomes, J.P., Miguel, C., Oliviera, M.M. 2009. An Integrated Strategy to Identify Key Genes in Almond Adventitious Shoot Regeneration. Journal of Experimental Botany. 60(14):4519-4173.